Thursday, December 18, 2008

Girls high ~ episode 1

Okay, as it turns out I'm in fact NOT dead. The four people who read this must be both surprised and happy to hear that. (did I say six? I meant two... hi Steve)
Girls high - Episode 1 "high school girls are idiots


okay, just to clarify I just noticed that ANN began to stream this and I decided it might be worth a watch, and it supports legal anime streaming. I didn't find this by searching (so don't peg me as weird)
starting things off though, I've wanted to talk about fanservice in anime ever since I watched kite runner liberator.
With some anime they just throw in some fanservice to keep the viewer attentive. You never know what you'll miss if you blink!. I'm fine with that. Hell, I'm even fine with when you throw in a bit more then that amount and go for a Kanon approach to things (moe characters with a good plot). Its when the fanservice takes over the anime that things get problematic - I'm talking about a certain glasses wearing, clumsy, smart, maid, high voiced, one eye red one eye green, assassin, ninja, weapon wielding, shy, killing machine. Yeah, for the reference I'm talking about Monoko from kite liberator. That anime however can be forgiven for its 'service because of its cool action scenes, and surprisingly convincing characters. Girls high on the other hand... is more for the lonley basement dwelling otaku type (that said I think I'll watch it as its streamed)



I'm watching girls high!
of course I'm not thinking!

This is one anime that knows its audience. It reminded me of Azumanga Daioh... but less funny, and more fanservice.
The thing about having lots and lots of fanservice in an anime is that it all just seems to blend together and I just sort of tune out from it. its like comparing the early sailor moon episodes to the later ones - in the early ones it was exiting - you paused your video player, you cursed youtube on the delay, you rewinded it, you tried to catch those few frames (then you switched to crunchyroll) however in the later ones, it was just like "oh look a naked angel, cool"


maybe its for the best that
you cant read that bottom line.


this is essentially my problem with this show. It didn't really attempt to have much of a plot, and it had some pretty weak comedy. A few times it did get a chuckle or two out of me, but for the most part it was pure, brain dead entertainment.

On the plus side there was lots of fanservice

Did I mention that there was a lot of fanservice?

Seriously though, on a real plus side it had some nice art and decent music. The characters were very cute. Which is a good thing considering its genre.

it may not revolutionize anime... in fact, its probably setting anime back about 20 years but its entertaining at least



BTW: its REALLY annoying to get screen caps on the ANN viewer because it shows crap when you pause, and the print screen-paste method is tedious.

No comments: